Wednesday, April 13

- DUDE WHAT THE FRIG iS GOING ON!?!

So a few things. Some good, some bad. Mostly good actually.

Been getting nice publicity lately. A popular website boingboing.net put up my phony craigslist apartment listing HERE and I got over 350 hits in one day. Sweeeeet. Then yesterday the guardian.co.uk put a little link to my anti sidewalk gum spitting campaign post, but I think its gone already.

Soon I'll be dining at Arby's like the fatcats on Park Ave.

But today was the most interesting. This is a little complicated, well at least for you it will be. So turn off that Yanni record and pay attention. A friend emailed me saying NPR did a segment on the Brian Lehrer show this morning about roommates, and mentioned my phony craigslist apartment listing. They actually plugged this site, so I was pretty excited to hear about the whole thing.

I don't actually own a radio but when I do get to listen to NPR I usually enjoy it.

Since the segment was already over by the time my friend told me about it, I tried to check out their website to see what information was on there.

Anyway, the Brian Lehrer page actually had a description of the topic and gave a link to a phony craigslist apartment post which supposably "Inspired the topic."

Cool I thought as I clicked on the link, another plug for me.

Then when the page opened to my horror (Ok maybe not horror but mildy shocked and angry) I found SOMEONE HAD RIPPED ME OFF.

My phony post was not there but another, almost identical post sat before my eyes. If you must, you can read it HERE. But be warned it's not as funny as my original one HERE. Seriously though its really not.

I didn't even have to read through the past few sentences but did anyway. Without a doubt its fabricated, not real, and modeled exactly after mine. If you read them side by side there is no doubt at all about it.

I guess its a compliment, but I didn't get no credit on Brian's website originally, or these two other websites where I found links leading people to the rip off post HERE and HERE.

To update this, I found that these two sites just had the post up but didn't write it. I yelled at them both because I was rather upset but have recently retracted my original loud accusations.

Are you following this? wake up!

I actually called NPR and told them about it. I spoke with someone there who forwarded the information to their website department and the Brian Leher show. They changed the link so now it goes to my post instead of that other one. That was pretty cool of them. Maybe they didn't want to deal with my crazy lunatic fans demanding justice. By "crazy lunatic fans" I mean myself of course.


So while I was happy today I also got a little pissed. It's all about principles to me. Even when I use someone else's joke among friends, I always try to attribute it back to them.


Sucker MC's Should call me sire. I won't stop rocking till I retire - RUN DMC


To update again, I've been arguing a bit with real authentic lunatic fans of that guy Davezilla's website which had posted the imposter link. I admitted in his comments section that I did fly off the handle too quickly. But does anyone really like having their work stolen? I'm not going as far as calling my writing "art" but I do work at it and take pride in this new endeavor of mine.

12 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious why you feel that I ripped you off, or that Maggie ripped you off. The posting I linked to, was one I found, not one I wrote.

Get your facts straight before blindly accusing people of things they didn't do.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Fact is that you have it posted on your website and fact is it's a rip off of my work. If you read my post you would see I said I wasn't sure if you guys were the ones that actually wrote it.

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post does make it sound like Davezilla and I are deliberately not referencing you, though - but in both cases (if I can speak for Dave, too), we were simply pointing out something for our readers, and we did both give credit to our sources.

I understand that our sources may have ripped you off, but we didn't - and yes, you have acknowledged that in your comments on our sites, but on your own site, you lump us in with the other nefarious evildoers.

We come in peace, dude :D

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Franikins,

Are you therefore trying to imply that "rip you off" is a phrase that you created? You need to clarify as we all do that none of our original thought has not been thought by another person, perhaps even at the same time! Shocker, I know. But really... can't we all just get along? *phrase made popular by Rodney King, not sure its his original first time used every quote.

Fianna

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enough arguing, man...post the replies! I love it when others point out the lunacy and idiocy of others. Gives me much more free time.

-Doronit

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They make a good point though. You didn't invent the wheel, man.

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I didn't claim I invented the wheel (even thought I did invent it) you monkey licker. I know I'm not the first person to make a phony post I mean sweet honey mustard Jesus do you think I'm a moron? But that specific post WAS plagiarized, plain and simple... like you my friend.

 
At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should totally copyright monkey licker and sweet honey mustard Jesus...those are two classics I wouldn't want in anybody else's hands.

-Doronit

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! You commented about this post in my journal over at opendiary.com, and I just wanted to tell you thanks for stopping by, and that I already knew you were the original poster, which is why I had already linked to you at the bottom of the entry. :)

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Jess Barron said...

We at SheSaidRadio.com are counted among your protective, lunatic fans!

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yours was totally the best.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Spinning Girl said...

This post, along with the comments, is by far the best thing I've read all week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home