Thursday, March 23

- HUMMUS RECIPE

A friend asked for my roasted red pepper hummus recipe today so I wrote it up in an email. Now I'm sharing it with the world. If you don't like red peppers (like my girlfriend) you can omit them and just add a bit more water.

Serve with veggies and PITA squares from Damascus on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. If you can't make it there you should move to Brooklyn, or just buy some PITA and put it in the oven for a few minutes.

ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS!


Hummus is pretty tough to make until u do it a few times, then it's really easy. The key is consistently. Well consistency and not fucking it up.

Depending how much you're making this should be a good estimate of a recipe:

4 cans of chick peas drained of their water
3/4 cup of tahini (add a little more if you think it needs it)
juice of 1 small lemon
2 tablespoons of salt
fresh black pepper to taste
1 cup of water
5-6 pieces of roasted red pepper (buy the canned kind they are the same as trying to roast them yourself which makes a fucking mess at least for me it does)
1 head of garlic
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 large white chefs hat

- So first you should cut the head off the garlic, about the top 1/4 I would say, pour some extra virgins on it, partially close it in tin foil and bake in the oven at about 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until the cloves start to get soft so you can squeeze them out by hand (after it cools off course don't burn your cute lil hands babe)

- you need a food processor and you need to work in small batches. Take one can of chick peas (after draining it. you can rinse it as well with cool water) and put them into the processor.

-add a few scoops of the tahini
-add a few cloves of the squeezed garlic when it's cooled down..Make sure the skin is off..The garlic should poop right out of the skin when u squeeze it. Don't burn that shit though.
-add 2 tablespoons or so of the water. Start to blend it. If it gets stuck because the chickpeas are too dry, add a little more water but only enough to get it going. Then towards the end when it starts to smooth out..
-grind some black pepper over it and..
-add some salt, then..
-add a few slices of the red pepper. Actually I changed my mind..Add the red pepper in at first. This will act like a lubricant and get the mixture moving and grooving.

- The key is to make it smooth..Not too many lumps. Add a little bit of the extra virgins afterwards to help smooth it out more and give a little extra flavor. This all takes some practice. Make your first small batch for yourself and see how it comes out. I usually make 3-4 batches and put them together in a big bowl. Then I stomp on them with my feet like Lucy did with the grapes at the Italian winery.

- Feel free to call me if needed. You don't have to use all the garlic it just goes to taste..I would say 2 cloves or so per can of chick peas.. Remember the taste of roasted garlic is much milder than raw.

may god be with u

2 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) you didn't leave us your number to call if we need you

2) do you own a large white chef's hat?

-Doronit :)

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awe you haven't called my hands cute in a long time and the babe was a nice touch. Sounds like a good recipe. Course till I've tried yours, I won't know how it should taste.

Now I need a recipe for fried plantains...anyone?

Did I stumble into the Daniel home cooking network?

Fianna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home