Monday, December 13

- CHEESE

Monterey Jack- Seems that this cheese has a splendid marriage with Mexican food because it comes on a lot of tacos and quesedillas that I order from tex-mex places here in the city. Monterey melts well and tastes good too. You can buy Monterey Jack with jalepeno pepper pieces in it which are great. If you make corn muffins at home try adding some chunks in the mix before you bake it..mmmmmm

Brie- If you don't like Brie there's something sick in your head. God this stuff is like white crack. Wait isn't crack white? Brie is better though. Melted Brie is so good but smells like an old sweaty sock when baked. Try baking Brie with your favorite jam, and then take a bath in it.

Swiss- I like it sliced or chunks on crackers. A chicken cutlet sandwich with this holy melted king of cheeses makes a tasty lunch or dinner even.

Mozzarella- What a versatile cheese. Smoked, fresh, and the standard Polly-O blocks make me a happy man. The smoked is my least favorite but I do enjoy it on occasion. Fresh mozzarella with sliced tomato, basil, and good extra virgin olive oil is delightful. I love hearing American Italians overpronounce the word mozzarella or Ricotta, it makes me laugh.

Havarti- Don't care for it much.

American- Bland yes I know but I like it. White American is good on a roast beef or turkey sandwich every once in awhile. I also like the white in omelets, it just melts so perfectly. The yellow is less preferred but I actually like it on a burger.

Cheddar- One of the few cheeses I know that comes in different sharpnessesessess. I like the sharp cheddar on crackers but prefer the more mild versions with food. Cheddar is a standby that will never die. I will die someday but Cheddar will live on forever. Bury me with a big block of it, please.

Muenster- A mild cheese but actually one of my favorites. Melts well and makes a sandwich that much sweeter. I love me some Muenster on Carrs Table Water crackers. Yeah you're welcome for the plug Carrs. Is Muenster a German cheese? Sounds like it.

Bleu Cheese
- Don't like the way they spell blue wrong but this cheese is nice in a salad or in a foot bath after a long day at work.

I'm lactose intolerant by the way.

6 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't comment on ricotta or goat cheese. You may have to write a sequel.

Doronit

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey, you have problems.

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eating too much cheese makes you constipated.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Ricotta and goat cheese are two great cheeses and I do appologize for missing them. I use a goat cheese to make pizzas with figs and drizzle it with a good balsamic vinegar. It's a recipe for a dessert pizza and quite tasty. yum

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have completely and eloquently captured my feelings on the cheese that is Brie. Bravo!

(Though the omission of goat cheese is basically insanity.)

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make Brie and Camembert cheeses at home. neither of them smells like a sweaty sock. wonder what I'm doing wrong? I use the less smelly strains of Penicillium candidum and Geotrichum candidum, and I don't add any Brevibacterium linens (the red bacteria that give muenster, brick, and limburger their odor and flavor and color), which are sometimes found in Brie and rarely in Camembert. I do make muenster, too.

btw.. muenster isn't a german cheese as such. it's usually credited to the french, but of course the borders of france and germany haven't always been what they now are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home