Thursday, December 22

- MTA TRANSIT STRIKE DAY III

This strike isn't so bad for me. I've gotten rides to and from work from complete strangers all three days so far. Cabs are willing to take me over the Brooklyn Bridge for free in order to fill their mandatory 4 passengers between 5AM-11AM. My apartment is located in a prime position for cabs looking to pick up people before heading towards the bridge.

I just say "I got no money but need to go over the bridge" and they usually glance and me once and then say "just get in," and drop me off on the Manhattan side which leaves me a 5 minute walk to work.

Leaving work last night I spotted a dude driving a nice BMW and flagged him down to take me over the bridge. We had a nice chat about women, relationships, and Brooklyn, three things I enjoy talking about.

I realize what an inconvenience this for everyone but it does afford us an opportunity to meet different people and interact with fellow New Yorkers in a way we don't normally get to do.

5 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger sisi said...

I agree (to your last sentence). And if you're out there going over the Brooklyn Bridge you should take this opportunity and get some shots of the masses walking to work. This doesn't happen all the time, you're a photographer at heart (somewhere), right? So, what are you waiting for?

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

you're so right. I bring my camera with me every morning but I'm such a lazy ass that if I can get a ride I just take it. Also it ain't like springtime weather out here you know that!

If the strike is still on tomorrow morning I will walk the bridge.

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just be careful of the guy that cuts both your hands off. My mom told me about him. If I remember correctly, he's still out there. ooooh!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger chrisana said...

yes, i sat in a taxi van squeezed between a banker and doorman, and 2 french girls up 3 avenues (due to traffic) pretty hilarious...

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger BLAND said...

Hell, I got to "bond" with my new coworker in a cab from Park Slope allll the way up to Columbia University. Good times, good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home