Monday, August 29

- JOGGING

I think today was the first day in many many years that I attempted to jog. I was remarking to a friend earlier in the day over email that I don't jog/run but perhaps because of that I gave it a go on my walk home from work. I have been pretty active lately with the whole walking home from work thing. Of course besides the whole foot incident that we all remember so well. At least I do.

It just happened. I was crossing Atlantic Avenue while the light was blinking red. I wasn't going to make it so I began lightly jogging. Then I just kept going, a little faster and faster until I was at a decent pace.

It was like in the movies when someone realizes they can fly, or walk again.

It went well...for a few blocks when I collapsed and starting clutching at my chest. No I didn't fall down or experience any heart failure but I only lasted about 3 blocks and then had to stop. I tried it again when I was almost home and didn't even last more than 2 blocks the second time.

I'm pretty impressed with myself though. I never thought I'd be able to do that, especially not whilst smoking a cigarette.

8 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Maybe it's the oxygen tank that's slowing you down. I've been running consistently for the past year but on a treadmill. I have trouble running outside- to much circulation of real air. But yesterday, and it's still hot outside, I saw so many people running. What's gotten into all of you! And now you with your bum foot? I'm beginning to think that all of those Nike ads are actually convincing people that busting their @ss is actually cool.

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fantastic! Remember how I told you I was going to run home from work?

I totally did not!

Laura

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Emily Farris said...

That's pretty brave, dude. I would never attempt to run IN FRONT OF PEOPLE. If and when I ever attempt to run outside, it will be when I'm all alone and no one can watch me have a heart attack after three blocks. I prefer to keep doing it on the treadmill where no one really notices I've only been running for only five minutes when I decide to speed walk again.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Eefers: I don't think I made it to 5 minutes, maybe eventually.

Laura, Yes that idea was hatched from our email conversation about you jogging home from work.

The truth is I wasn't smoking during the jogging attempt, but usually when I'm just walking I will have a smoke or two during the trip home. I didn't at all until after I got home though, totally smoke free walk/10 steps of jogging adventure yesterday.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger BLAND said...

From I'm Gonna Git You Sucka:

John Spade (in reference to the jive music band following him): They're my theme music, every hero's got to have some.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Now I will force you tpo wake uyp early and go for a jog with me ONCE A WEEK. It will be good for us both.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Emily Farris said...

That's what I need... a jogging partner. Someone to give me CPR when I go into cardiac arrest. Then I could stop forking over $70 to NYSC every damn month.

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Spinning Girl said...

the only reason to run is if a tiger is chasing you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home