Wednesday, October 26

WAL-MART FUCKING SUCKS

Not that my subject title is a news update but I just read an article published today which in part read:

"An internal memo sent to Wal-Mart's board of directors proposes numerous ways to hold down spending on health care and other benefits while seeking to minimize damage to the retailers reputation. Among the recommendations are hiring more part-time workers and discouraging unhealthy people from working at Wal-Mart.

In the memorandum, M. Susan Chambers, Wal-Mart's executive vice president for benefits, also recommends reducing 401(k) contributions and wooing younger, and presumably healthier, workers by offering education benefits. The memo voices concern that workers with seven years' seniority earn more than workers with one year's seniority, but are no more productive.
"

What a great company. I have read and heard so many awful things about Wal-Mart and this just ads to the list. They are the equivalent of an unsupervised third world sweatshop that padlocks it's doors and makes seamstresses pee in bags underneath their desk to avoid taking time to use the restroom.

How much shittier can they treat their employees I mean seriously? People make, "an average of $17,500 a year and could face out-of-pocket expenses of $2,500 a year or more for health benefits"

All you conservatives out there who think this is bitching and moaning and that the world needs ditch diggers too, just try to imagine yourself living on your own on that salary. And don't even think about raising a family on that type of money.

I haven't bought anything from them in years and probably never will again. Fuck Wal-Mart.

9 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Emily Farris said...

You are looking at (yup, that blonde to the right) the proud recipient of the Sam Walton Scholarship for Leadership. Well, hey, I was proud when I was 18 and only knew of Wal-Mart as the Greatest Place on Earth. And then they handed me a check for $1,000?!?!? Now, I know better. But now I wonder, in my current financial state (broke as fuck), would I turn down the money? I really don't know. I want to say I would, but God, I'm broke.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

that money is dirty eefers. there's blood on your hands

just kidding not that bad but yeah I might take a grand if they offered it to me as well.. I'm sure they would just make me sign over my soul in exchange.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger BLAND said...

Don't knock peeing in bags 'til you try it.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After every bad thing I hear about Wal-Mart (I saw that PBS documentary you recommended last year), I always say I'm never going to shop there again. However, I am broke as hell, so their prices appeal to me. I'll say this: when I make a decent living, I'll never shop at Wal-Mart again. Fuck 'em!

-Doronit

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Emily Farris said...

My boss and his wife, who own a cute little store in the Slope, are hosting a screening of the Wal-Mart movie. Check it out.

Join Mark and Samantha from 3r Living for a free screening of "Wal-mart: The High Cost of Low Price" the latest film from Robert Greenwald, Director/Producer of “Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch’s War on Journalism.”

The film takes the viewer on a deeply personal journey into the every day lives of families struggling to fight against a goliath.

What:
Free Screening of “Wal-mart: The High Cost of Low Price”

Where:
The Old Stone House, J.J. Byrne Park, Park Slope, 5th Avenue bet. 3rd and 4th Streets

Check www.theoldstonehouse.org for further location details

When:
Tuesday, November 15th, 7-9pm

RSVP:
The screening is free but seating is limited. Please RSVP at 3r Living

In person: 276 5th Avenue bet. 1st Street and Garfield Place

Phone: (718) 832-0951

Email: info@3rliving.com

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I admit it's easier for me to not feed so much of my salary into stores like that living in NYC but know it's tough especially when living in a part of the country where you have no other options. I mean there are always alternatives including online shopping I guess.

I just think walmart is one of the worst of the worst at least from what I've seen/read/heard.

Personally I still shop at the Gap sometimes and they still use sweat shops to make the clothes. But as with the disgusting torturous process animals go through in order for me to eat them (which I'm aware of), I just think if you're going to support it you should be aware of what you're supporting.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must agree with you now. Wal-Mart DOES fucking suck. I went there with a list, and not only did I not find everything on my list, but I couldn't find someone to help me, and the lines at the three out of 28 registers that were open were so long that I left without purchasing anything. Target rules!

-Doronit

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger todd said...

I remember in my marketing class a video we watched on Sam Walton and how he changed the world because he made a five and dime shop into a world leadering in retail. He gave people jobs, sold stuff for low prices, and drove everyone else out of business in every town he openned a Wal-Mart. I can't say I don't go, because I do -- usually when I'm on the road in a small Alabama town called Centre (maybe 1000 people live there) -- (I go there to climb). I think any company that reaches that size with the a practice of looking only for the cheapest way to do something is going to cause some damage. Wal-Mart does suck, but I think eefers has the right idea with supporting the community shop instead of bitching.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Well I'm going to see that movie next week Todd and I do in fact support all smaller individual stores when possible.

I just like to vent and let people know a little bit about a company they are supporting. Same thing with eating meat.. you should know where it comes from if you're going to support it..and for the most part it's an awful awfuuuul process.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home